Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Montague Book Mill



Discovered my new favorite place in the Pioneer Valley yesterday... The Montague Book Mill. An old saw mill that has been beautiful refurbished into a bustling cafe, cozy used book store, and hip art gallery space. It's a perfect example of upcycling: taking an old building that many would have torn down and transforming into a nexus of community and art. Their motto is:

"Books you don't need in a place you can't find"

Fortunately for J and I, it's a pleasant 7 mile bike ride away, following the Frankling County Bikeway.

The mill site, for obvious hydrological reasons, is right along the Sawmill River. There are some pretty boardwalks along the river leading up to the mill, making for a really picturesque location that reminds me of an extremely miniature European village center...

We enjoyed lunch at the cafe, called The Lady Killigrew. They have nice outdoor seating along the cobblestoned courtyard of the mill:
 ... but also gorgeous indoor seating overlooking the river... I wanted to stay here all day!
 The mill complex also includes an art gallery, an amazing used book store, and a trendy new and used music store:
I think I've found my new favorite hangout spot.

1 comment: