Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fall Foliage in the Whites

J and I decided to take a road trip up to New Hampshire this past weekend - to visit my uncle, and also take advantage of the perfect alignment of weather, fall color, and holiday weekend. 

As predicted the, the scenery was sublime.
 
We took a short little hike to Artist's Bluff and Bald Mountain, in order to take in the views of Franconia Notch valley:

We also hiked up Mt. Moosilauke, since I'm toying with the idea of joining the New Hampshire 4,000 footers club~ I've already got 5 out of 48 done.... That's still quite a few left to do, but wouldn't that be awesome??
 Here we are at the summit. And look at those gorgeous rolling hills? Again, nothing can quite compare to the grandeur of Glacier, but I gotta say that the Whites come pretty close: they've got all the rocky terrain you could wish for, expansive views above treeline, miles and miles of trails, and some pretty challenging terrain if you want it. 

And I'm one happy hiker to have access to such great mountains just outside my uncle's doorstep:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em~

    I also climbed Mt. Moosilauke when I was about 15 and we were at Grandpa Bill's Dartmouth reunion.

    Hey Hey!!!!
    I'm sure you appreciated more than I did...I just remember it was the highest mountain I had ever climbed~ Whew!!!!

    ReplyDelete