Saturday, October 29, 2011

Life, Mt. Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Friday was a blessed window of perfect weather, a perfect opening between the snow and sleet and dark we had earlier in the week, and are now having again this weekend. The stars really aligned, as Joachim would be gone on Friday, and I had a full day to take some adventure. Naturally, the mountains beckoned...

A view from the summit of Mt. Liberty, looking north towards Mt. Lincoln and Lafayette
So, with my wonderful friend Rose - a mountain addict like me - we set out for adventure in Franconia Notch State Park. Fresh snow had just fallen the night before, an inch or two at the higher elevations, and it was such a treat to see the world in that new and wondrous state.

Here are a few photos from our trip: 
This is Rose, so awesome wearing her plaid shirt... I feel like this photo looks like an artsy ad for fall fashion...

and I really like this photo of me...

Welcome to the Alpine Zone, 4000 feet above sea level... It certainly felt alpine in this weather! It was COLD!

Just as we're about to go up above tree line, the final dash to the summit. The sense of elation I think is apparent in my smile~
Rose is about to take wing and fly away. It was so windy, and so cold, we couldn't stay up there for long. But we were there long enough for Rose to remark that this is the most beautiful place she's seen in the northeast.

 Life, Mt. Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...


1 comment: