Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sea Scapes


The smell of the air near the ocean: salty, a little fishy maybe, but so evocative of freedom and summer days... I wonder if I lived by the sea if my nose would grow accustomed to the smell, and I wouldn't notice it anymore...? That would be a shame... Well, today I got to smell that sweet ocean scent: among the sand dunes of Plum Island and on a fishing vessel off the shores of Gloucester. Here are a few highlights of my ocean adventure:

Hellcat Trail, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, on Plum Island. What a beautiful place!



The common reed: uncommonly beautiful, but unfortunately an invasive pest in this brackish marshes.

Enjoying my hike through Plum Island.... 



Then from there it was off to Gloucester, to meet David and go fishing for Mackerel!

David cutting up Pollack to use as bait...

Me fishing! This was fabulous! The weather was unbelievable, a little windy but the waves weren't bad at all... and I managed to not get sea sick! 

This is the actual boat from the movie "The Perfect Storm".... cool...

Our catch for the day: 12 Mackerel and 2 pollack. Not exceptional, but pretty awesome for my first try!

And a close-up view of one of our captives... they're so beautiful~!


...and so ends another happy adventure....

1 comment:

  1. I <3 Gloucester. Victor never smells the ocean b/c he grew up there and is so used to it but i find it thrilling when we are driving up the 133 towards town and i can smell the sea in the air! i've been there quite few times now but never to plum island. it's now on my list ;)

    ReplyDelete